Thanks all for the abundance of replys. Looks like you all had the same idea.

Before I got your emails I found out the problem. I had another partition for backups mounted on the root level. I had forgot to add an entry to /etc/fstab. Things were running fine for weeks, however, there was a crash and when it came back online the /backup existed on the root.

Thanks!