- snip -

Kindly advise how to boot to 'single user mode' or 'safe mode'

The precise answer depends on what version of FreeBSD you're running, which you failed to mention. You can work it out from the FreeBSD FAQ entry titled "I made a mistake in rc.conf, or another startup file, and now I cannot edit it because the filesystem is read-only. What should I do?", which you can read at: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#RCCONF-READONLY

Hi Lowell,

V5.2
===

Thanks for your advice. Problem was solved as follow;

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh: <ENTER>
# mount -a -t ufs
# ee /etc/rc.conf

Now another problem popup.

At rebooting
/tmp not clearly dismounted
/var not clearly dismounted
/usr not clearly dismounted
Starting syslog
Recovering vi editor session:

It hanged here. Kindly advise how to umount /tmp, /usr and /var

If I need to run 'fsck' whether starting single user mode will mount / at read only. From there I can run

# fsck /dev/ad4s1a  (I suppose boot)
# fsck /dev/ad4s1b  (I suppose swap)
# fsck /dev/ad4s1c  (I suppose /)

Kindly advise how to re-check the device, boot, swap and /

TIA

B.R.
Stephen