On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:28:17PM +1100, Tony Frank wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:15:14PM +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> > i.e. can I create a RAID0 volume from two RAID5 volumes?

> >   I understand this might sound a little odd but if it works it would be
> > the ideal solution for me.  I would also be interested in hearing how
> > other people might have overcome this problem of growing a large RAID5
> > volume.
>
> As you didnt post anything about your implementation I can only guess.
> If you are using hardware raid5 for each disk set and it cannot do raid0
> on top you could look at using software raid0 to join the two hardware
> sets. Eg vinum can do raid0 in software over raid5 in hardware.
>
> If you are doing this purely in software it will depend on what software
> you use.  If using vinum I believe you can only mirror across two (or more)
> raid5 plexes, so probably not what you want to do.

Yes.  I forgot to specify but this was going to be purely software RAID.
I've recently had a little trouble buying a hardware ATA raid card (I
was shipped an incorrect model and lost out about GBP 100!) so until
then I'm software only.

  I looked at (I think) raidframe (?) and this /appeared/ to support
this functionality but I wasn't sure if it was something Vinum was also
able to do.  It seems you have clarified this for me.

  Thanks a lot!

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | jabber:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | url:www.lewiz.org |-