That's a keymap thing... Depends on your keyboard layout,
I'm not sure what the au layout is, but if it's anything
like the UK one, it's the opposite way round to the
default US keyboard layout for those keys, amongst other
things. The easiest way of setting your keymap is probably
with sysinstall, if you go to configure, then console,
then keymap.

Hope this helps,
Ed