Sean Ellis told a big fish story including the following on 3/6/2004 12:51 PM:

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:34:20PM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

I have a "faster" machine that I'd like to use to build packages and then install those packages on my "slower" machine. I'm looking for links to info describing this process and some best practices. I'm familiar with using portupgrade to build and install ports. I've read the portupgrade man pages and see options to build and install packages but am not understanding how to put it all together.

Check this out.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html

.. under "Making a Package Repository".

Thanks, that helps. Now, is there any way to make a package without installing it? For example, on my build machine I have the full version of bacula installed. However, I'd like to make a package that is built with the "CLIENT_ONLY=YES" option. So do I really have to build and install it "wrong" on the build machine and then rebuild and install it "right" just to get the package I want to install on another machine? Seem like there would be a better way.

Thanks,

Drew