On Mar 10, 2004, at 9:26 PM, Jonathan T. Sage wrote:

Bart -

just a thought, but it is possible that the port updated the virus database to the possibly older version in the distfile. You may want to run freshclam and see if this clears up the issue. Hopefully thats all the problem is.

hope this helps

On a lark, I reran the test (situation: I ssh to my home account that isn't filtered, and send myself two small viruses that some MS user was so kind to have unknowingly sent to me...I'm using Mac to store/send them, so I guess it's nice to be immune when I have to test these things :-)

Weird. It caught it this time. And I did run a freshclam, thinking something odd happened to the database. Perhaps clamd just doesn't see the update right away? (there's also a freshclam run from a cron script every four hours or so). I doublechecked and I wasn't imagining things; one virus I sent slipped right through the first time, but this time in an identical test almost five hours later the antivirus on the FreeBSD filter slapped it right down.

Not gonna question it though, as long as it's working! Thanks!