Steve Ireland wrote:

This is a PS/2 thing, not an operating system thing. You really can
fry your motherboard plugging and unplugging PS/2 devices while the
system is powered up.

I suppose it's possible, but I know I 've never fry'd one. I'm always unplugging and pluging mine back in. The key to getting the keyboard re-initialized, when you plug it back in - at least under 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 - is to change

hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"

hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x0"

in /boot/device.hints and reboot. After that, you can plug and unplug to your heart's content. I'm told this setting may have to be made in the kernel, requiring a custom kernel, in 4.x releases.

        -ste