Ed Alley wrote:
[ ... ]
Thank-you Vulpes and Chuck; the atapicam mechanism looks like a fine idea.
However,
I am having problems getting it to work for me...

O.K. I am running FreeBSD 4.9. I built a new kernel with:

device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
#device         atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives

Uncomment these, or at least the first one. :-)

atapci0: <Intel ICH5 ATA100 controller> port
0xffa0-0xffaf,0x374-0x377,0x170-0x177,
  0x3f4-0x3f7,0x1f0-0x1f7 mem 0xfebffc00-0xfebfffff irq 9 at device 31.1
on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
atapci1: <Intel ICH5 SATA150 controller> port

You might also be having some issues with SATA support under 4.9 with the ICH5 controller if you were using these rather than a normal ATA port; it might be the case that 5.2.x would work better for you. People are actively working to improve this area.

[ ... ]
I have installed growisofs and cdrtools. cdrecord version is 2.00.3.
I can mount CDs on both cd0 and cd1. I can record CDs with cdrecord on cd0,
BUT I cannot record DVDs on cd1.

Can you a burn a CD on cd1? What device are you using with cdrecord, via SCSI or are you specifying the device as ATAPI:...?

I am using Memorex DVD-Rs. Rated at 4.7GB on the label.

When I execute growisofs with one of these DVD-Rs in it I get:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cd1c=nycity.iso

:-( unable to open("/dev/cd1c",O_RDONLY): Device not configured

However, I can mount CDs on it. It looks as though growisofs thinks that the
device is read-only.

growisofs tries to open the device for reading to check the status of things like the media, before it tries to write anything.

The output of "camcontrol devlist -v" might also be interesting...

--
-Chuck