On Mar 25, 2004, at 17:27, Augusto Jun Devegili wrote:

nohup is a possible solution; check its man page.

Example:

$ nohup wget http://server/big.iso &

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 05:22, Robert Storey wrote:
I want to log off and hang up the modem. The question is, how to do so? With the
above process running, I can't even get back to the command line to type "exit"
(and wouldn't typing "exit" kill any process I'm running?). Ditto if I hit
ctrl-c. I suppose I could just hang up the modem, but that's not elegant.

I use nohup for that all the time. Works fine.