Hi chip,

Please wrap your characters at 80 columns
of so for some of the people who use text
based email. Thanks!

Read on..

chip wrote:

Yesterday I installed, from pkg_add, mysql/php/apache and apache and php
work fine, mysql did not create the /tmp/mysql.sock file. I have searched
the drive looking for it in another location but it does not exist anywhere.

mysql.sock is a UNIX socket, created by the mysql process
itself.  If it does not exist, then it's likely that either the
mysql daemon is not running, or it is running without
adequate permissions to create the socket.

If the last is true, then it's possible that mysql is
configured to make the socket somewhere other than
/tmp, because the permissions for /tmp should be such
as to allow the creation of the socket ....

I then created a file in /tmp called mysql.sock

That won't work, I'm afraid ... a socket isn't exactly a file...

but mysql still gives the same error -[error 2002]
cannot connect to local mysql server through /tmp/mysql.sock (2).

This is the same message you would receive if
mysqld were not running.  Have you tried this:

% ps -auxv | grep mysql
mysql 645 0.0 0.1 31276 268 ?? S 9Apr04 0:10.55 /usr/local/libex 5 127 3851 - 2624
root 63441 0.0 0.1 356 156 p2 D+ 12:54PM 0:00.00 grep mysql 0 0 1 - 52

This shows that /usr/local/libexec/mysqld is running
as process 645.

I read the section in the mysql manual about the socket but
don't see anything about creating this file.

Because mysql does it ;-)

How do I fix this?
Thanks,
Chip

Check the mysqld is running, first.  You
may have to start it yourself (although
you shouldn't really, but that's another
issue).  Also check for error messages
in /var/log/messages, etc.

Do any messages appear during the
init phase of bootup re: mysql?