Noah said the following on 4/19/2004 12:39 AM:

AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile htpasswd.file.location.and.name.here
AuthName "Something to make sense"
require valid-user

thanks glen - looks like this is still not working. No password Prompt

here is what I did:

cat of /usr/home/<user_name>/public_html/<subdir>/.htaccess

--- snip ---

AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/home/<username>/public_html/<subdir>/.htpasswd
AuthName "Protected Area"
require user glob

Ok.. first off: Is there a user named "glob" in that .htpasswd file?

Secondly, can you check that you have the module mod_userdir.c loading? In my install from ports of Apache, my userdir directives look like this:

(Up top with the rest of the modules:)
LoadModule userdir_module     /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_userdir.so
AddModule mod_userdir.c

(Then down in the host/virtualhost directives:)
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
   UserDir public_html

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
   AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
   Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
   <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
       Order allow,deny
       Allow from all
   </Limit>