On Wed, 12 May 2004, Rob wrote:

> Warren Block wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 May 2004, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> >
> >>    I've heard a lot of comments about the booting
> >>process of freebsd, that it is much faster than
> >>booting into Linux.
> >
> > It is.
>
> I also seem to remember that from my long-time-back linux experience.
> Given a same amount of services to run on either system, what are obvious,
> easy to understand, reasons for FreeBSD to be quicker than Linux?

I don't know. 8-)  All I know is that some time back I tried FreeBSD
4.x (I think) and a couple of Linux versions on the same system, and
FreeBSD was noticeably quicker at bringing up KDE and running it.

> > sendmail_enable="NONE"
>
> I once tried that, but the system was cluttering up lots of undeliverable
> emails to root. Apparently system maintenance reports its results by
> email to root, and cannot deliver it without having basic sendmail running.

There's some information in the man page for 'periodic' that lets you
change the email to log files, and control what is logged.