From: Blake Meike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 3, 2004 7:35:08 AM EDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Install problems, Netfinity 5k w/Adaptec RAID

Hi,
I'm hoping this will be easy to solve -- or at least easy to diagnose. I'm new to FreeBSD, so I just don't know where to look yet.

I have a Netfinity 5k, .6Gh SMP with an Adaptec RAID. It runs all manner of Linuxes just fine. I'd like to start running BSD instead.

Install from CD fails. If I leave APIC on, the boot into the installer gets as far as a message that says:

Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec

Actually, if I wait a very long time, I get one more message:

md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> ...

If, on the other hand, I turn off APIC, I get into the installer just fine. When I try to set the media to CD, however, installer tells me that I have no CD drives (despite the fact that is is running from one!)

I'd appreciate any suggestions that would help me:
1) identify the hardware that is causing the stall, so I can pull it out
2) explain to the installer where my CD drive is, with APIC off

Many thanks,
  Blake Meike