On 5/18/2004 10:25 AM Mike Hogsett wrote:

How can I copy a group of files to a different name. I want to copy all files starting with 'bacula*' to 'bacula*.old'. So I have these four files:

blacklamb# ll bac*
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   949 Apr 22 09:13 bacula-barcodes
-rw-r-----  1 root  wheel  5792 May 17 16:52 bacula-dir.conf
-rw-r-----  1 root  wheel   763 Apr 22 09:13 bacula-fd.conf
-rw-r-----  1 root  wheel  1909 May 17 16:31 bacula-sd.conf

I want to have copies of these files with '.old' appended to their names. I've tried 'cp -pv bac* bac*.old' but cp complains. Because it's only 4 files, I'll do each one independently but I'd like to know how to do this "right" for future reference.

Well it may not be right, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

if using bash as your shell you could do

<>for b in *
do
mv $b ${b}.old
done

OK, thanks. I'm using tcsh but I think I figure out how to do it following your example. So a "script" is the only way to do it in *nix? Being born and raised on MS-DOS, I'm accustomed to the "copy bac* bac*.old" syntax.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse