carvin5string wrote:
--- Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You've got a user's crontab created in the format of the system
crontab.

The system crontab has an extra field to designate the user under
which
the job should run.  When this field is entered in a user's crontab,
cron interprets it as the command to be run and the errors you
describe
generally result.

Keep in mind that the user "root" has a user crontab that is
different
from the system crontab.

If you're still fuzzy as to what went wrong, reading the man pages
for
crontab (in addition to my explanation) should help.

Bill, I see in the Handbook in section 6.6.1 that I should run crontab crontab to create a new crontab, which I did, in the /etc directory, as root.

Yeah, it does look like it says that, doesn't it? It doesn't really, and you shouldn't have done that ...

Thus the crontab file in /etc looks like this -
After reading the man page and the one page in the manual I don't know
what to do to fix this -

What you did was install the system crontab as a user. Log in as the user you executed "crontab crontab" as, and enter "crontab -r". That will remove the crontab for that user.

On a related note.  I'm going to make some changes to that section of
the handbook in an attempt to clarify it.  Do you mind if I contact you
directly to get your feedback on whether or not my changes make that
chapter easier to understand?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies