Robert Downes wrote:
During buildworld, I wandered off. When I returned, my machine was, alarmingly, in single user mode, demanding that I run fsck manually.

I'm running fsck right now, and it's finding all sorts of block size errors, to which I'm simply hitting 'y' and agreeing that things should be salvaged and corrected.

Before running fsck, I had a look at the buildworld.out script that was being written to during the buildworld process. I can't tell you exactly what it says, but it definitely came to a stop in the middle of a 'sentence' of output. I.e. it looks like my new machine (yeah, the soon-to-be-fanless EPIA again) must have crashed during buildworld.

What could cause buildworld to crash like that? I'm now worried that my PSU board *was* damaged the other day. Is a damaged PSU the most likely cause of this incident?

All advice very welcome.

Not enough information here to be sure, but it sure sounds like a hardware problem.

You might do well to try memtest86 and cpuburn on that machine for a while,
to see if you can track down a hardware problem.  Monitor the temperature
of the machine while doing so, could be that the cooling is inadequate.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies