Hey Roman,

Roman Kennke wrote:

Hi list,

One thing, that is making me _not_ using FreeBSD is, that I see no way
to easily upgrade from, say 5.1 to 5.2 (just an example), over network.
I mean, I have a server running, to which I have no physical access. The
only way to maintain it, is over SSH.
The upgrade instructions in INSTALL.txt suggest putting in the CD, and
using sysinstall for a binary upgrade. That is no option for me.

What I am looking for is an upgrade method which
- can be used over an SSH connection
- is not too difficult (like manually placing each piece in the right
place)
- does not leave old stuff on the HD (like the sysinstall method does,
AFAIK)

... to make it short, something like the ports system (especially
portupgrade) does with non-system apps would be cool.

I use CVSup to update my system and then rebuild as described in the /usr/src/Makefile file, (yeah yeah there is a UPDATING file on should follow), the only thing that i am not doing, since i dont have physical access as well, is boot into single user mode and run mergemaster, mostly i am keen of knowing what changes , so far on my 5.x servers there weren't any issue's requiring mergemaster to run.

Apart from that i updated my systems many times, without being in single user mode, with an ssh connection.

Hope this helps a bit..

ow yeah

/usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui is where the cvsup lives :)

Cheers

Is there a way to achieve that? This would be the one bit, which would make me switch to FreeBSD.

/Roman

--

Kind regards,

Remko Lodder