Christian Hiris wrote:

Scenario I.
1. Scanner attached to /dev/usb1.
2. Run xsane, xscanimage and friends under an unprivileged user.
3. Don't want to pass the [driver:/device] parameter to your scanner app.

What happens?

The initialization code steps thru the usb devices until it finds a device that matches a driver:device in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/.
If a permission for a /dev/usbx device is missing and no matching device could be found, the initialization code calls sane_exit and the program terminates. [simply spoken]
So, if our scanner is attached to /dev/usb1 one need to set "proper" permissions on /dev/usb0, /dev/usb1 and /dev/uscanner0.

        crw-rw----  1 root  operator  243, 255 Jun  6 14:10 usb
        crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  243,   0 Jun  6 14:10 usb0
        crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  243,   1 Jun  6 14:10 usb1
        crw-rw----  1 root  operator  243,   2 Jun  6 14:10 usb2
        crw-rw----  1 root  operator  243,   3 Jun  6 14:10 usb3
        crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  242,   0 Jun 10 19:31 uscanner0

What role does /dev/usb play in this story?

In my mind scanner initialization runs faster and more stable, if the device stays open (as in scenario I.). You can make startup initialization a little faster by removing unneeded drivers from /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf. The line 'hp' should suffice.

OK, thanks!

1) I plugged my scanner into /dev/usb0; avoiding the necessity to probe other
/dev/usb*.

2) I commented out all entries in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf, EXCEPT the hp one.

After this, devices are detected automatically and immediately. Even gimp can use
the plugin to the scanner now.

Woow, thanks so much for all your advice.
Step by step I'm getting closer to a working scanner.

Rob.