On Jun 12, 2004, at 09:46, Stacey Roberts wrote:

The ISP's DSL package includes 8 static ip addresses: -
1 - network addr
1 - broadcast addr
1 "router" address
5 usable ip addresses

The -redirect_address syntax is as follows:
-redirect_address localIP publicIP
localIP The internal IP address of the LAN client.
publicIP The external IP address corresponding to the LAN client.

What I would like to know is if it is possible to do to following: -
Given that the 5 usable public IP's are: 1.1.1.4, 1.1.1.5, 1.1.1.6, 1.1.1.7 & 1.1.1.8
1] G'Way host is assigned its own public IP - 1.1.1.3
2] LAN hosts' (all) traffic is NAT'd using one of the other public IP's - 1.1.1.4
3] Remaining 4 public IP addresses are left to be used other purposes (eg: "true" address redirection to a DMZ-host, that is not a member of the internal LAN subnet)

Not sure I understand (it would help if you used a real public /29 to illustrate, your example doesn't follow legal subnet rules). in 1) above, the gateway host ip has to come out of the usable address pool, which you designate .4 - .8. So in 1) you could have the gateway IP as .4. In 2) You have .5 assigned for many-one NATing (in the Linux world they'd call this ip masquerading). In 3) you'd have THREE public addressed left that could be used for one-one NAT.

As you see, the g'way's public ip is not being used for NAT'ing internal hosts' outgoing traffic, but another ip from within the assignied public ip address range. My reading of the NAT chapter does not suggest that there is a way to define the public IP with which traffic is to be translate. Is this functionality not supported, or have I missed something when reading the various sections?

It is AFAIK, they just don't use it in the example.

KeS