> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 17
> Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:56:26 +0930
> From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Questions about Hauppauge WinTV 350
> To: FreeBSD Questions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> A number of software products use the Hauppauge WinTV 350 "Personal
> Video Recorder" (what a stupid name!).  I've been planning to get one
> for some time, but here in Australia the prices are ridiculous (more
> than double what they are nearly anywhere else).  So I've decided to
> have one sent from overseas.
>
> Question: are all WinTV 350s the same?  In Australia we have the same
> standards as in most of Europe (PAL, not NTSC), and the tuner
> frequencies are also the same as those in Europe.  If I buy a card in
> the USA, will it work here, or are there two different kinds of card,
> depending on where they're sold?
>
> The web site is not of much help.  To help me decide, it would be nice
> to hear from somebody with experience with the cards who can tell me a
> definite answer to at least one of these questions:
>
> * Are there separate versions for different countries?
> * Does the device you have support both PAL and NTSC?
> * Does the tuner on your device support both European and US
>   frequencies?
> * What kind of antenna connector does your card have?  US TVs tend to
>   have a screw-on connector, while European one tend to have a push-on
>   connector.
>
> Other information, in particular where I can get them cheap, would
> also be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> If you don't, I may ignore the reply or reply to the original
> recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
> Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.

Hi Greg,

I searched the German web page of Hauppauge
(http://www.hauppauge.de/) for answers to your questions:
There's nothing mentioned about the tuner part.
But this card also features MPEG2 encoder hardware that's
capable of encoding an NTSC signal.

On the page there's a reg file
(http://www.hauppauge.de/files/pvr2_pal_ntsc.zip) to apply
the correct parameters to the Windows registry.
Actually I have no clue how to put this into effect on a
FreeBSD machine.

Maybe you should ask the manufacturer directly...
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

You mentioned that standards in Europe are the same.
Why don't you order the card in Germany for example.
Try to consult http://www.preissuchmaschine.de to find
a dealer offering a reasonable price.
As of today the cheapest offer I found was around EUR 165,--
(about AUD 290,--)

Greetings,

Stephan Yaraghchi.