On Jun 25, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Joe Schmoe wrote:
What are some options I can add to the standard `make
install` command for that port to significantly reduce
the size of X ?

Any general comments on making a smaller/faster/more
efficient X for an old laptop are greatly appreciated.

X11 doesn't really fit the criteria of small and efficient, I'm afraid. This being said, you can try to install just x11/XFree86-4-libraries and the specific X11 client apps you want to run...

--
-Chuck