5.2.1-RELEASE

I've started using 'portupgrade' to update several ports to the latest versions, but
have an odd problem when it comes to certain ports.

For example:

server# pkg_version -v | grep Spam
bsdpan-Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63       <   needs updating (port has 2.63_2)

server# portupgrade bsdpan-Mail-SpamAssassin
--->  Skipping 'mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin' because it is held by user (specify -f to
force)
server# portupgrade -f bsdpan-Mail-SpamAssassin

So I use the -f flag to force, and get several errors like:

===>   p5-MIME-Base64-3.01 is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of converters/p5-MIME-Base64
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/converters/p5-MIME-Base64.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/p5-Digest.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/p5-Digest-SHA1.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/p5-Digest-HMAC.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/dns/p5-Net-DNS.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade64155.0 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
        ! mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin (bsdpan-Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63)     (unknown build
error)
--->  Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed

I can successfully "install Mail::SpamAssassin" using cpan, but it never seems to show
up as the latest version (always seems to need upgrading when looking at pkg_version).

Are there are two different ways to install (for example) SpamAssassin (and other perl
related ports)?

I can use cpan OR the pkg_add / portupgrade commands but not both?

Thanks,
Chris