On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Darkbackwardz co. ltd. wrote:

I have just installed FreeBSD version 4.10 along with KDE and the X-Window system on my x86 PC, unfortunately, when I type "startx" at the command line I get this error message:

(WW) SAVAGE: chipset "ProSavage DDR" in device section "VIA ProSavage8" isn't valid for this driver

Note the space between ProSavage and DDR. That may be the problem. The easiest way to get X to detect the correct driver is to have it write a sample XF86Config file for you:

XFree86 -configure

This will create an XF86Config.new file.

You don't mention which motherboard you are using, or show the contents of your XF86Config file, which makes it difficult to say more. However, the MSI KM2M motherboard works with this in the Device section:

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWCursor"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWCursor"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                  # [<str>]
        #Option     "UseBIOS"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "LCDClock"                # <freq>
        #Option     "ShadowStatus"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtOnly"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "TvOn"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "PAL"                     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ForceInit"               # [<bool>]
        Option      "NoUseBIOS"               # WB: needed!
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "savage"
        VendorName  "S3 Inc."
        BoardName   "[ProSavageDDR]"