Kevin Stevens wrote:

Try ping; even if the host isn't available you can see if it resolves. "host" does it's own thing, which is sometimes non-obvious (to me at least). Look at the sections in man host about the variables it expects to be configured.

Excellent, ping does resolve a new entry in /etc/hosts properly. So as you said, `host' is doing it's own thing. The manpage for host gives me some leads which I'll follow through on.

The latter. For example, many workstations aren't configured to run named at all; they'll still reference their local hosts file.

Perfect! It's good to know this, as the manpage doesn't specifically state that the system checks for a running named process - at least I didn't see that anywhere.

        Thanks for your help Kevin!

--
Thanks,
-David Fuchs