Wojciech Puchar wrote:
i installed FreeBSD once to do quick performance tests, and at least in disk I/O and fair scheduling it's MUCH better (tested 4.10 and 5.1).

It's nice to be welcomed by higher performance when you switch OSes. :-)

my questions:

1) what is Buf and Cache in top exactly? why buf on 96MB machine gets to near 20MB and never goes down? it's almost 1/4 of memory size.

Cache: number of pages used for VM-level disk caching Buf: number of pages used for BIO-level disk caching

2) can i compile kernel with -march=pentium,pentium[234] -O2 optimization?
in NetBSD 2.0 doing -march=pentium produces kernel that doesn't boot at all, just resets.

If you want to tune your system, tweaking the options from GENERIC by removing at least:

cpu             I386_CPU
cpu             I486_CPU

...will probably result in the greatest improvement, along with disabling WITNESS and such if using -CURRENT. See "man tuning".

Using -march=pentium is likely to be worthwhile (assuming you don't have a 386 :-), higher than that may run into problems. Higher optimizations than -O are not supported, although work is underway to fix the remaining code issues (mainly in libalias used by NAT), as I understand.

If you want to try -O2, give it a shot, but you might consider using either "-Os" rather than "-O2", or try "-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing".

3) how can i disable compiling, using etc.. all that LKM (KLD) stuff?

i really prefer one static kernel.

Read the handbook on building the kernel.

4) is IPv6 working well? (i mean no crashes etc...) i will get real IPv6 zone allocation soon and want to use it.

IPv6 seems to work well, yes.

5) what is used in FreeBSD for traffic management. NetBSD has altq - please just give me a name i will RTFM.

If you want to use that, ipf/altq should be available in -CURRENT. Otherwise, ipfw & dummynet is another choice.

6) how to turn using serial port as console on i386? my home machine is headless, i'm using X terminals to access it.

See the handbook.

7) does FreeBSD support 2 CPUs on i386?

Sure. See the SMP section of the kernel config file.

should i go to 4.10 or better 5.2.1? stability is really important to me.

4.10, unless there's a feature from -CURRENT that you don't want to live without.

--
-Chuck