Eric Crist wrote:
Hello list.

I'm trying to use CUPS for the first time, with all the good things I've heard/read about it on this list. I'm mainly trying to use it as I've got an OfficeJet G85 that I've never used with FreeBSD and linuxprinting.org has a 'mostly' working driver.

Here's what I've done thus far:

I've installed CUPS, and have a running daemon. I can login and install printers. I've downloaded the recommended the correct .ppd file according to linuxprinting.org, and tried installing the foomatic scripts it says I need.

When I try to print a test page, I get no output what-so-ever and no indication on the printer anything has even happened.

I don't know where the CUPS logfile would be, so I can't read that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cups installs /usr/local/bin/lp and /usr/local/bin/lpr and leaves /usr/bin/lp and /usr/bin/lpr in place. Back these up, symlink the cups versions into their places and try again.

If you want to verify you have a properly running Cups before you do this, use the web interface (http://localhost:631) to print a test page. It ought to work.

HTH

Peter.

I also have a Brother HL-1440 that I've gotten working with apsfilter and lpd (it's a remote printer off a hardware printserver), but I'd like to get it working in CUPS, as it seems much easier to configure margins and such.

Thanks for your help!