Stacey Roberts wrote:
Hi Peter,
   Thanks for the reply.

Stacey Roberts wrote:

[snip]
The other problem I've got is that with the instruction to create a soft link for /dev/usv, on reboot, that soft link is of course disappears, so I

have to

manually recreate that soft link again, before (again) manually starting apcupsd from cmdline.

You need to make an appropriate entry in devfs.conf for any customisation of /dev to persist beyond a reboot with FreeBSD 5. - something like:

link target name

Ah.., yes.., Do you mind checking my syntax, please? According to your suggestion, I'd
be adding:

link /dev/cuaa1 /dev/usv

to /etc/devfs.conf, and that should be it?

No - look at the file, there are sample entries there:

# Commonly used by many ports
link    acd0    cdrom
link    cuaa0   pilot

So you'd want:

link cuaa1  usv

Whislt I'm keen to try this out, could I then ask the obvious question,
>is there some reason why in apcupsd.conf I am not allowed to simply use /dev/cuaa1?

I'm afraid I'm not sufficiently familiar with this software to answer. But it would almost certainly be less problematic to stick with the suggested link.

Thanks again for taking the time.

My pleasure, hope it helps.

Peter.