Dan Nelson wrote:
In the last episode (Aug 10), Duane Winner said:

Can anybody explain to me how FreeBSD 5.2.1 controls the start order
of the scripts in /etc/rc.d ?

I've looked all over and am having trouble gleening what controls this.

The rc manpage explains rc.d/ and the magic keywords used inside its
scripts.
Ugh. I kept seeing that but kept thinking I was misunderstanding since the lines began with '#' and couldn't get over thinking they were comments only. Thanks.

For instance, if I would like to start ipfw before dhclient (right
now dhclient starts, then ipfw starts), how would I accomplish this?

Add "ipfw" to dhclient's REQUIRE line.  This change was made to
-current, so when 5.3 ships it'll already do what you want :)
That's good news. So, I take it then I'm not some sort of freak for wanting to do this? :)