I'm a complete newbie and I'm trying to set up X server on a Toshiba
Satellite pro 4620dvd laptop.  Everytime I run through xf86cfg or
xf86cfg -textmode I get the error message "The XFree86 configuration process
seems to have failed.  Would you like to try again?"  Obviously, this is a
bit frustrating.

Here are what I think are the valid parts of the XF86Config file, but I may
be missing something - please let me know.

InputDevice
        Driver = "mouse"
        Option = "Protocol" "Auto"
        Option = "Device" "/dev/sysmous"
InputDevice
        Driver "Keyboard"
        Option "Skbmode1" "pc101" (note: my laptop only has 85 keys"
        Option "XkbLayout "us"
Monitor
        HorizSync 31.5-31.5
        VertRefresh 50.0-70.0
Card
        Driver "s3"
        VendorName "S3 Inc."
        BoardName "86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"
        ChipSet "SuperSavage/IX64"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen
        Default Depth 8
        Display Depth 1
        Display Depth 4
        Display Depth 8
        Modes "640x480"
        Display Depth 15
        Display Depth 16
        Display Depth 24

My main questions are:

1) The Toshiba documentation and Web site do not tell me what my internal
monitor's horizontal sync or vertical refresh rate is. (although it does
give me refresh rates for an external monitor - 60/75/85 @16M colors).  Is
there a place I can go to find this information?

2) Are there other obvious reasons the configuration would fail other than
the monitor?

3) Are there any sites I can visit for more info?

Thanks so much!

Vaughan Moore

Also, did I post this to the right list?  If not, please let me know where
it should go.