Steve Bertrand wrote:

Please bear with me...

I've got a Windows 2000 web server that is spewing out over 2Mbps of
data which is going out round robin over my 3 T-1 connections.
Although there is still more throughput available, this is seemingly
rediculous.

I've got a fortigate box in front of the server now, but the details
it gives aren't quite what I need. What I'd like to have is a FBSD
filter (transparent bridge) setup in front of the box, with software
that can chart for me what type of packets are being sent/rec'd
to/from this box, as well as each packets frequency and size. Any
graph would do.

I believe this is legit HTTP traffic, but I can't identify packet
size
(or the size of a single entire HTTP session etc). Seeing this in
graphical form would help me immensely.

Anyone familiar with available software that I could dump on my
filter
box that can potentially do something similar like I am looking for?

I was contemplating on asking this on -ipfw, however technically
it's
not a direct IPFW question.

Tks everyone for any suggestions.

Steve

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

You may want to check out Ethereal (free packet sniffer) www.ethereal.com. I have used this successfully on FreeBSD. Also, FreeBSD has a program called tcpdump that will show packets without the added bells and whistles of Ethereal. One note: if you are using level 2 or higher switches, the sniffer will not pickup all the traffic coming out of your Win2k box unless you configure a management port on your switch or use a hub with both the sniffer box and the server connected to it.

Alternatively, you may be able to run Ethereal on you Win2k box....

Hope this helps.

Norm

OFF-LIST.

I just noticed your email address...I have used ethereal only in
traditional sniffing environments, to identify who's doing what.

However, you probably know better than I if it measures bytes
send/received by IP, protocol, port etc. The box in use as I said will
be in-line. Also, will ethereal run without X? It's a command line
only box.

Tks again,

Steve

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

My email domain is just a strange coincidence, I am not associated with the people at ethereal.com, just like the product (and name :)

You do not need X, use "tethereal", it is a command line program.

With regards to inserting the box inline, It should be possible, I have not been successful at doing it (yet). I am trying to build a NIPS which I would like to put inline between my ISP and my wireless router. I am using ipfw, If I get it to work, I will let you know.

Norm