I missed the first part of this thread, but have you tried disabling
firewire in bios?

Gary

Lee Harr wrote:

I tried the "Boot with ACPI disabled" choice from the bootloader, but
that one hung during the boot also... I did not try disabling ACPI in
the BIOS, but I will give that a try.

Recently I found out that I can make the system boot
4.10-stable by disabling firewire in the kernel. Otherwise
it freezes up while booting.
Well... my thought was to set up a 2nd src directory and cvsup
to RELENG_5_3 so I could build a 5.3 system and then create
my own iso using a customized kernel without firewire. I just am
not sure I can do all of that while running on a 4.10 system...