Scott Gerhardt wrote:

On Sep 15, 2004, at 12:19 PM, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

I have a question about what exactly I should backup on my 5.3 FreeBSD Server. So far I have chosen the following directories for full backup. But perhaps some is overkill.

/etc
/boot
/home
/var/log
/usr/ports
/root
/usr/local
/usr/src
You don't really need to backup /usr/ports and /usr/src since they can be easily rebuilt by cvsup'ing the latest. Not backing these up will probably save you about 500MB.

You probably do want to back up /usr/src/sys/xxx/conf, where xxx is i386 or whatever for your sys, since that is where your kernel config for custom kernels normally resides.

Gary