On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Martin Moeller wrote:

I'm planning to buy a new printer, because the results with my Canon S500 are
total crap. I guess a laser printer is the best choice for Unix, and I'm
wondering which one I should buy.

I thought about the HP Laserjet 6L or something in this category.

Avoid the 5L and 6L, as they have failure-prone paper feeds. Newer versions of this top feed printer may share the same problem.

Used 4/4M/4M+ or 5/5M/5M+ series can be found inexpensively; the "M" models (for "Mac") have Adobe PostScript.

The LaserJet 4000/4050 is a very nice printer, as is the LaserJet 5000 if you need 11x17. Both have a non-Adobe PostScript clone which works pretty well.

Internal JetDirect cards are cheap for the 4/5 series, more expensive for 4000/5000, but very convenient.

Having PostScript in the printer makes setup easier, and makes printing faster in some cases. If the printer is PCL only, Ghostscript is used as a filter, rendering PostScript jobs into PCL. Sometimes this method has speed advantages, also.