Hi Puna,

This looks like there occured a looping recursion, there is definately something wrong with your ports. Maybe try to reinstall the dependencies forcefully after bringing your ports tree up-to-date (if that alone does not already help)
Kind regards,
Alex.

Puna Tannehill wrote:

On a freshly rebuild v5.3-BETA4...

A failed compile of sysutils/fastest_cvsup led me to run 'make clean' before trying again. It took over 5 minutes to run make clean, and at the very end I got the following:

    # make clean
    kern.ipc.maxpipekva exceeded; see tuning(7)
    Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
    Pipe call failed: Too many open files in system
    ===>  Cleaning for libtool-1.5.8
    ===>  Cleaning for perl-5.8.5
    ===>  Cleaning for fastest_cvsup-0.2.8

There is nothing specifically in tuning about this particular knob, but from poking around I get the feeling that it's about memory management of the kernel IPC subsystem.

Running 'sysctl kern.ipc.maxpipekva' shows:

    kern.ipc.maxpipekva=1257472

Hunting around on in the archives, I came up with people getting this error while doing very intensive compiles. Seems strange to me that I might get such an error on a 15min uptime, cold-booted machine and just doing a 'make clean'. And thoughts?

Puna