Noah wrote:
[ ... ]
but when I send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I thought it would bounce but instead
it appears in my personal mailbox with the username user2 (user1 is a
different account).  I am even sending mail from a remote machine.

I cant figure out why it is delivered to me and also cant figure out why a
bounce is not sent to the originator.

I don't support you have LUSER_RELAY set in your .mc?

If you want to understand how and why sendmail takes a given address and changes it and/or decides where to deliver it, use a command like:

% echo '3,0 [EMAIL PROTECTED]' | sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> canonify           input: < cswiger @ mac . com >
Canonify2          input: cswiger < @ mac . com >
Canonify2        returns: cswiger < @ mac . com . >
  [ ...many lines deleted... ]
parse            returns: $# esmtp $@ mac . com . $: cswiger < @ mac . com . >

....obviously using a relevant email address instead of my own. This will show lookups to your virtusertable and mailertable maps, and indicates whether the address will be handled for local delivery-- which looks something like:

parse            returns: $# local $: cswiger

...or be handled for remote delivery to some MX via the E/SMTP mailer-- which is what the "$# esmtp $@ mac . com ." part above means (obviously :-), etc.

--
-Chuck

PS: You might obtain better help from a sendmail-specific list than here.