--On Thursday, October 14, 2004 01:02:23 AM -0700 Mark Jayson Alvarez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Good Day,
    I'm looking for a command combinations (not and
editor) that would uncomment or comment a line in any
configuration file such as inetd.conf with just one
single stroke.

For example here's the line in inetd.conf that will
enable ftpd:

# ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -l

sure, I can extract that particular line using cat and
grep, but I'm not quit sure how am I going to edit it.

If it is commented by default, I can just say:
cat /etc/inetd.conf |grep #ftp |grep -v 6 |sed -e
's/#//'  to extract and edit that particular line and
then pipe the output to 'tee -a' to be able to append
it at the bottom of inetd.conf.

But what if it's already uncommented?

What's wrong with what you've already got?

cat /etc/inetd.conf | grep -v "#" | grep ftp | grep -v 6 | sed -e 's//#/'

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member