Thomas Beer wrote:
[ ... ]
What seems strange between 4.x and 5.x in the fdisk partition
table is, after deleting the slice yet to install FBSD
and create a FBSD slice 4.x simple deletes and creates the
slice, 5.x adds an additional unused "slice".

Hmm. If this unused slice is very tiny (less than 1% of the total capacity), it may be the remainder of the disk which unused due to the way the partition table values get rounded.

I suppose I've gotten used to only being able to fit 80 or so "real megabytes" onto a "100MB drive" due to this and that (1.0e6 "MB" versus 1.05e6 "MiB", newfs' reserved space, etc)...

--
-Chuck