Vulpes Velox wrote:

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:07:00 -0700
Balakumar Velmurugan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,
We are starting development on a new project that would go production in the fall of 2005. I have been evaluating Release 4.x
and 5.x branches for the suitability. Our target platform is AMD64
and AMD32 uni-processor systems. We like most of 5.x features except
for its performance and conerns about the availability of a STABLE
version in our time window, and I would like your opinion to choose
the right FreeBSD version tree to start the development right now.
BTW, we dont have any plans to run on SMP architecture, our target
platform will always be uni-processor based. Questions are,

1. By Sep 2005, do you think 5.x performance will be optimized and
be comparable to today's 4.x stable versions ?

Which did you test? Did you turn debugging and ect off? Tried
5.3beta7 yet?

I tried 5.2.1 and havent tried the beta7, yet. Can you tell me, what is the release tag for beta7 ?. RELENG_5_3_BETA7 didnt work for me !! Thanks for your pointers.

2. By Sep 2005, do you think 5.x will be as stable as today's 4.x released versions ?

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/schedule.html

3. What is the most architecturally optimized FreeBSD version if he
primary application is network services, IP forwarding and various TCP/UDP services ?
4. What is the most architecturally optimized FreeBSD version if he
primary application is network services, IP forwarding and various TCP/UDP services ?

Not tried forwarding yet on 5x, but for TCP/UDP services, not speed problems with them on my box.

Wait a bit till 5.3 is released and then bench market it after
optimizing it.