I'm hitting regularly the same problem with various ports that deinstall
properly during upgrades but won't reinstall. I had the case with firefox
this morning.

The typical message is:

   bash-2.05b$ sudo make install clean
   firefox-1.0.1.p_4: DESTDIR is not a user settable variable
   *** Error code 1

Can anyone tell me where the message is coming from and how to
overcome it? I've tried to grep "user settable" but did not find it...

For what it's worth, here is my uname -a:
FreeBSD ogautherot.og-lan.freesurf.fr 5.2.1-RELEASE
FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 5 19:32:44 CEST 2004
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OG_CONF i386

What's in your make.conf file? [Not DESTDIR, is it?]

Hi Gilbert!

No, it is not defined there. The funny bit in this story is that it does not always happen and the same package may work in one shell and fail in another one... Weird...

I guess I'll wait for the problem to occur again, run a printenv and compare it with a shell that does work.

Thanks for the tip anyway!

Cheers
   Olivier