Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Jim Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I have 2 devices that will not work as slaves. They are a CD-RW drive
and an IDE tape drive. They both work fine as masters. They give a
message

ATA identify retries exceeded

during the boot.

I have tried different combinations of masters and slaves and
different cables. The bios recognizes them as slaves.

This happened to me, too. Even if you setup a master device on the same cable with the "pseudotroubled" one it won't work. I don't know why, but on my kernel from which I removed all SCSI support it then worked. For you, with a CDRW... if you remove SCSI support (including ATAPICAM) the cdrdao will not work any more...
It seems a FreeBSD's problem with using removable ATAPI devices. The floppy controller behaves strangely with ACPI activated, for example... This is a minus for the FreeBSD, a very stable and secure system...