Brian Bobowski wrote:
[ ... ]
   One thing I have to wonder - how compatible is 'make buildworld' with
   multiple build processes(e.g. 'make -j4 buildworld')? I know some
   makefiles don't get along well with the -j parameter, but if
   buildworld is okay with it, this may offer a way to keep the processor
   busy rather than waiting for disk access all the time, which could
   make things faster, especially on such low-memory machines.

Using -j is recommended only when you have lots of memory and can keep all of the processes resident in memory. Trying to run a parallel build on a low-memory machine is almost certainly going to be much slower, since you are going to swap more, not less.

Time it for yourself and see...

--
-Chuck