Yes, this drive works fine under windows XP. It has fat32 file system on it.

When I had FBSD v5.2.1 on this computer several months ago and the system recognized it fine. But none of the Linux distros would recognize it.

However, I realized last night that this installation of FBSD is not recognizing my 40 GB Buslink hard which all versions of UNIX has recognized, including FBSD when I had it on before. I use this drive all of the time. FBSD did recognize it during the installation process, but I hadn't looked at it since until last night. It also has a Fat32 format. I'm beginning that SSH is the problem. I did not have it installed before.

Lloyd Hayes

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dick Davies wrote:

* Lloyd Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [1056 19:56]:

I have been using this 6 year old laptop as a test bed for the different versions of Linux and FreeBSD. (The built-in CD ROM is almost worn out.) I just put v5.2.1 back on this laptop. It doesn't want to recognize this hard drive. I have checked the 'dmesg' and can't see any mention of this connection. I can connect and disconnect this drive while the system is running and not get any messages. I have ssh running and it is obviously doing something to the drive since I hear the drive clicking on/off. In fact, it sounds like a clock. (I am constantly getting messages from ssh.)

Drive has died? Can you see it under winders?