On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 11:20:29AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >     I don't know if my mail from last night (Friday, localtime)
> >     got thru or not.  Part of sendmail is bolloxed too...  I
> >     see my /var/log/maillog filling up, but unable to resolve
> >     mail from freebsd.org.  Or anywhere.
> >
> >     Anyhow, last night thngs on my primary server broke.  I can
> >     ping, I can use mozilla, wshatever, but only from
> >     ns1.thought.org.
> >
> >     I fixed the new bind9 paths and re-exec'd those.  But for
> >     unknown reasons, dhcpd fails to hand out new leases.  Does
> >     anybody have any ideas howto debug this?  (I've tried some
> >     people here on the Seattle list, but they're unavailable.)
> >
> >     So: nutshell, looks like my /etc/namedb/* stuff is okay.
> >     --Something wrong with sendmail.--  And dhcp* quit working.
> >     Any real, hardcore system admins out there who can help me??
>
> If sendmail is still failing to resolve names, then it sounds like
> your named setup is *not* okay.  But you'd have to show us what the
> symptoms are precisely in order for us to help figure it out.
>
> For dhcpd, the answers are either in the dhcpd logs or could be if you
> raised the verbosity.  I've been using the ISC server lately in a
> development testbed, and I use the '-d' option to get the log
> information sent directly to my terminal.
>  "dhcpd -d -cf /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.debug.conf"

        The sendmail problem that were printed to stderr went away
        after I created a new 5.3 sendmail.cf; with dhcpd problems,
        mail can't get to my private servers so I have it re-routed
        to ns1.thought.org.

        I'll add the -d flag to my rc.conf; are you using the latest
        version of the dhcp-server from ISC or something other?
        I looked for a 'debug' flag on the man page and didn't see it.
        What should I loook for in th logfile?  or will it be
        obvious :-)

        thank,

        gary

--
Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site