At 01:18 PM 11/10/2004, you wrote:
Your problem seems to be bad blocks in the /usr file system.
That has nothing to do with dump.  It is a bad spot on the disk.
fsck will not fix that sort of thing.   If you can figure out
what files sit on the bad spots, you might be able to delete them
and then do your dump.   Then you should immediately replace the
disk.

I tarred up all of /usr to another filesystem, and I did see an error reading a core dump file from squid. I deleted the file and I was then able to dump /usr successfully. So that's good news.

However, I apparently need to fix the bad blocks before my RAID will rebuild. (I had hoped it would do file-wise copies, but it looks like it does lower level reading.)

It is my understanding that an IDE disk will only remap a bad block on a write, not just a read. My plan is to load up /usr with enough files to fill it up; this should write to the bad blocks and force them to be remapped to spares.

I am hopeful that the drive is still healthy, as it only shows 2 SMART errors. (Can a core dump cause a bad block or two?)

(Of course, the 3ware twe driver may not allow rebuilds yet on the 7000 cards, so I may have to try a Knoppix CD too.)

Thanks to all for the input.