Nelis Lamprecht wrote:

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:22:59 -0500, Gerard Samuel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Louis LeBlanc wrote:

Just got through buildworld/kernel on 5.3.  Strange problem I can't
find the solution to.

Xorg won't start:

Fatal server error:
xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O

Please consult the The x.org Foundation support at http://wiki.X.org
for help.
Yada Yada Yada.

Only one hit on Google, and it's just a bug report.  Anyone else have
any ideas?  I know /dev/is supposed to be more dynamic in 5.3, but
this isn't working.

Make sure your kernel has "device   io".
X needs it in 5.3.

Out of curiosity does 5.3 have this in the Generic kernel ? I don't have a copy installed yet to check but if it doesn't then it certainly should IMO. I've seen this problem reported a few times already.

Yes its part of the 5.3 GENERIC kernel.
Also (I ran into this with X also), you also need device mem if you dont already have it.
--
device mem # Memory and kernel memory devices
device io # I/O device