Volker Lieder wrote:

Hello list,
i need the perlversion 5.005 on Freebsd 5.3.
I tried to compile it by hand, but when i try "make" i got an error like
make: don't know how to make <built-in>. Stop
I need this perl-version only for one application :-/
Perhaps anybody has an idea.
I also need version 5.8.5, but thats not the problem.
Perhaps you can help me.

Have you tried gmake? Some programs that won't build with FreeBSD's make build just fine using gmake. It's always the first thing I try when make fails. Otherwise, you can look for a binary package - even if it's old, you can probably get it to run with COMPAT_*

Hope this helps,
Benjamin