I am setting up some 5.3 systems and have encountered a situation I can't figure out. I have had the following (and only) active line in 4.6 systems /etc/login.allow:

-:ALL EXCEPT user1 user2 user3: ALL

That only permitted logins from those 3 users and not root. The users had to su to get to root - even on the console. However that same line in 5.3 doesn't let anyone su to root (terminal or console). I have to add root to the list:

-:ALL EXCEPT root user1 user2 user3: ALL

Then the users can su to root. However root can login on the console directly which I don't want. I have tried a few diferent approaches to make this work but none have succeeded. What am I missing? Thanks.