Richard wrote:

What is the procedure for setting up an internal modem in

shell  (sio1 moved to sio4) and configuring under GNOME.
The modem itself is recognised when booting.

Thx, Richard

I'm not sure if I understand the question.  If you want
to use the modem, check out the handbook section on
ppp (I believe it's chapter 21).  I'd call it "required
reading" IMHO.

I use the same procedure for both terminal and GNOME,
with the difference being, of course, the actual
interface.

For terminal, I have a shell alias to dial the ppp
connection:

    alias dial 'ppp -nat -background myisp'

       in GNOME, I have a panel icon which calls the same
command.

Kevin Kinsey

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 I did check the handbook, however it doesn't handle the
situation where

<sio1 moved to sio4>

I can't get dial tone.

I think it may handle that situation, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Check:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html

About 60% down the page, a note explains what you must
do.  Search for:

"If you have an internal modem on COM4 and a serial port at COM2,"

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey