Curtis Vaughan wrote:

o update from cvs # cd /usr/src # make update o build world/kernel in your normal or single-user mode # cd /usr/obj # rm -rf * # cd /usr/src # make buildworld # make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL o install kernel/world in single user mode # reboot [ Choose single User Mode ] # cd /usr/src # make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL # make installworld o run mergemaster -p # mergemaster -p o reboot # reboot

It's fairly straight-forward once you get the gist :)

Following Adam's suggestion, I have now gotten to the point where I rebooted into Single-User Mode, entered the /usr/src directory and then entered the command:
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

But it almost immediately comes back with errors about the fact that certain directories don't exist and problems with the fact that the file system is read only.

Perhaps I entered Single User Mode wrong? On a reboot, I chose not to boot into any system, but to go directly to the loader prompt (something like that). Then I entered the command: boot -s

Curtis

Did you remember to mount the partitions after logging in single-user mode?

mount -a
cd /usr/src
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL