On Nov 19, 2004, at 3:54 AM, Josh Paetzel wrote:

On Friday 19 November 2004 14:50, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

My first instinct would be cp named.conf backupnamed.conf rm named.con* mv backupnamed.conf named.conf

:-)

I'm too paranoid that I know what *should* work wouldn't or would
still end up deleting the original file I wanted, so I'd have to
make a backup of the file and do it that way rather than play with
escapes and quotes.

Cant' you escape the \ with a \? rm named.conf\\ ??

I think he did do that and it worked.

I was just commenting what my first instinct is to do. A few extra keystrokes, but it saves my peace of mind. I jump among too many different systems with their own quirks and whatnot to not be careful when deleting things under /etc.

how many sysadmins either A) type ls at the DOS/cmd prompt or B) aliased ls under DOS/cmd prompt on Windows (or I guess C would be installed some UNIX-like tools under Windows because they kept doing A)? :-)

-Bart